Blessed Margaret of Castello Guild and Shrine
There has been a special devotion to Bl. Margaret of Castello at St. Patrick Church since the early 1930’s. Following the “Great Fire of 1935,” Fr. James McKenna, O.P. established the Bl. Margaret Guild and Shrine. There was an expansion of the Shrine as a separate chapel in the back of St. Patrick in the renovations of the 1970’s.
The main focus of the Shrine is, of course, the wonderful statue of Our Little Margaret carved from one solid piece of wood. The statue depicts Margaret’s handicaps, namely that she was blind and lame, and walked with the support of a cane. The tapestry on the right-hand wall depicts the life of Little Margaret, and the cross is made from the timbers of the 1935 fire, and has been named the Cross of Sorrow. The newel post on the left-hand wall of the shrine is from the stairs of the old school that was razed to make room for the new parish center, and serves to hold a relic of Bl. Margaret for personal veneration.
The large reliquary located to the right of the shrine houses a large relic of the heart of Bl. Margaret, which is venerated at St. Patrick’s and her novena prayed each week on Wednesday. A special mass is celebrated monthly for the intentions of the Guild members. The Dominican friars remember the intentions of the Guild in their daily recitation of the Divine Office each evening at Vespers.
The Blessed Margaret Guild was established for a number of purposes: (1) to promote the canonization of Bl. Margaret and (2) to raise money for various programs to benefit “The Unwanted,” especially the poor and underprivileged; to promote social justice; to further the cause of Respect for Life; and to promote the principles and ideals carried out by Bl. Margaret in her work as a laywoman of the Dominican order.
Won’t you consider becoming a member of the Bl. Margaret of Castello Guild? In return, you will share in all the spiritual benefits of the Guild, as well as periodic mailings of events happening with the shrine.
|Please click here to see the latest letter from the director of the Blessed Margaret Guild.|